A burning desire to win is the most essential element to succeed in any field. All the achievements in this world are started from this. It is the origin for every single victory humans had ever known.
The desire to conquer the whole world made Alexander the Great one of the most successful military commanders of all time and undefeatable in battle. The desire to fly lead the wright brothers to invent airplane despite of severe discouraging critics.
When desire becomes your obsession, then it will be translated into reality. A desire mixed with faith and perseverance will ultimately lead to success in any field. All our achievements and failures can be thought of as the results of how much we wanted the success.
Your goal is only limited by how much you desire for it, how much you are willing to stake every other thing for it, how much you strive for it. A definite goal, your will power, your sincere effort to achieve it will help your burning desire come true.
You should want your desire to be exceeding everything else in your mind. Whether the desire about money or a job or any other thing all you need is a constant burning desire and passion for it.
The following are the tips to cultivate this burning desire. Don’t forget to read till the end as there is a great story at the end I would like to share with you which should inspire you and help you most in cultivating the burning desire. Firstly here are the tips for cultivating this burning desire:
- Be specific: The goal which you desire must be specific. For example, of the desire is about money be specific about how much money you want. If it is about your work, specify exactly how much amount of work you want to do. Having a specific goal helps your mind to know exactly what you desire for and to focus on it.
- Set definite achievable goals: Your self confidence improves every time you achieve your goal. You should be very selective while choosing a goal. An impossible goal can lead to definite failure. For example, a goal like meeting Michael Jackson or visiting another planet this weekend is impossible for now! :D. Your target should be achievable.
- Cultivate Passion:
Remember the quote from Steve Jobs, “The only way to do Great Work is to love what you do”. When your goal becomes your passion, you will never feel bored of it. So start loving the work you do.
- Act immediately: How fast you start towards goal tells about how much burning desire you have about your goal, how much passionate you are about achieving your goal. Martin Luther King said, “Take the first step in faith. You don’t have to see the whole stair case”. So start towards your passion immediately and take your first step to achieve it.
- Believe in yourself: No matter what is your target, you can achieve it only if you believe that you can. Don’t even let a smallest fear of failure into your mind. You have to believe in yourself that you can achieve it (Remember, nobody believed in wright brothers before they invented airplane). You should maintain this even when no body believes in you. You believe it from the bottom of your heart, you live for it, you die for it, you will achieve it.
- Be positive always: Only positive thoughts can achieve positive things. Surround yourself with positive thoughts. Surround yourself with positive people. Terminate any negative thoughts at the roots itself.
- Avoid distractions: Avoid distractions by all means possible. Allot some time for other things such as phones, emails, etc. and restrict yourself to use those only during that allotted time. While achieving your goal all you have to focus is on the goal.
Now finally, as I told you, here is the story that I would like to conclude with. This beautiful story about burning desire is adopted from Napoleon Hill’s timeless Classic, “Think and Grow Rich”.
“A long while ago, a great warrior faced a situation which made it necessary for him to make a decision which insured his success on the battlefield. He was about to send his armies against a powerful foe, whose men outnumbered his own. He loaded his soldiers into boats, sailed to the enemy’s country, unloaded soldiers and equipment, and then gave the order to burn the ships that had carried them. Addressing the men before the first battle, he said, “You see the boats going up in smoke. That means that we cannot leave these shores unless we win! We now have no choice—we win—or we perish!”
Every person who wants to win in any undertaking must be willing to burn his ships, cut all the sources of retreat. He will then have no excuses. All he needs to do is to focus only on one thing – his goal.
In this manner one can cultivate the state of mind known as a burning desire to win, which will ultimately leads to victory. Make sure you read this post as many times as you want. Let us keep on shooting for the stars!